Friday, May 11, 2007

Warm Puppies Still Have Cold Noses

Two weeks ago, Patrick and I visited Borders at the Centre. With only 30 bucks to spend, I found it ultimately prudent to pass on the item that I wanted most of all:


Besides, there were 3 copies on the shelves. I remember being surprised that it was out for purchase on the last week of April; every site I had visited gave a May publishing date.

So yesterday I return to Borders with more money and a problem: they are gone. Sold out? Looks like. I check the shelves of the humor section--nothing. I give a thorough twice-over of the "newly released" section up front where tables of the most recent releases of potential mass interest are displayed--no contented Linus anywhere.

I make way to a nearby "customer computer" to see if I can place an order. What I see instead is that "this title has not yet been published--place pre-order now." Um...what? They were just in the store 2 weeks ago. The thought strikes that perhaps they were mistakenly stocked oh that fortnight ago and hastily removed once someone caught the error. How likely is that? Still...

So I get home and check online to see the status of "The Complete Peanuts" series. No better place to visit than the Fantagraphics site.

"Available Now!" it announces. I find it wise to believe them.

So what exactly is going on with Borders now I've no clue. Next week I'll see if the book is now restocked, if not, well, I'll place an order for it and some other items I've been keen on ("Daydream Nation 33 1/3", chiefly) and just wait some more. I look forward to giving reviews of each on here soon. Until then...




2 comments:

  1. I hope you are a member of their rewards club. It's free and they are constantly emailing out discount coupons. Right now they have a 25% off coupon. The rarest of the rare is the much coveted 40% coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, that red card (and the benefits that come with holding one) has served me well.

    ReplyDelete