Friday, October 9, 2009

Ben Ali

Washington DC lost a great one. But they'll always have those fantastic half smokes. My last time at Bens Chili Bowl was July 6 this year, just before Sonic Youth played the 9:30 Club. While Patrick and I chowed down on sloppy, not-nutritious goodness, our friend from Seattle downplayed her chili order and claimed Bens was overrated because "it's been around for a long time."

Three weeks later, when I spoke with Steve Shelley, he said that the band had hit up Bens that day as well, and even proceeded to give a brief explanation of the Bowl and its history to my Canadian buddies.

Ben Ali is gone. The Chili Bowl lives on.

2 comments:

  1. Are you done blogging because you are a famous author now? (your favorite band knows who you are?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely be making more time for my online writing. This blog's been unfairly neglected as I've concentrated on my fiction.

    ReplyDelete